I think respect is a big issue, yes a nanny is technically an employee, but that's not a good attitude. A nanny is an employee responsible for the care of your child. She has a huge impact on your child's development. It is important that the nanny feel her time is valued. Be home when you say you will be, do not expect her to be on call for you anytime. It is also important that her opinions and concerns are addressed and her personal privacy respected.
I know that most nannies don't like nanny cams but I actually think they are a good idea. Any good nanny should not mind a nanny cam and if you have a good nanny the camera won;t find anything concerning. However, if you allow your nanny to use your computer when the child naps than respect that and don't monitor what sites she visits.
I also think it's important to honor your promises. You trust her to care for your child so be respectful and do as you say you would.
I feel that I am a good nanny, going above and beyond. I made a care book with a form for Emergency Contact Info for the Children, Daily Care Forms with information about the child's appetite, sleep patterns, activities and mood. (If you are interested in these forms I can e-mail them to you). I also included information about local activities and museums for children, activities to do at home with the kids and product recall information. It is important that the parents appreciate when nannies go above and beyond. They need praise and to feel the effort is valued.
Those are my random thoughts about childcare. It has been a frustrating few weeks with a family that was not a good fit and I felt the need to release all those thoughts into the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment